“I must be right. Never an aspirin. Never injured a day in my life. The whole country, the whole world, should be doing my exercises. They’d be happier.” – Joseph Pilates
Everyone’s talking about Pilates these days, especially in Hollywood! We hear celebrities raving on a daily basis about their Pilates workout. Stars ranging from Kate Hudson to Jennifer Aniston to Sofia Vergara are eager to express their love of Pilates.
But why is Pilates such a favorite of the hottest stars who could choose any type of exercise workout to do? Here are five reasons why:
1) QUICK – It takes as little as 10 minutes a day to start reaping the physical rewards of Pilates. Since Pilates is helpful in targeting specific muscle groups, only a few repetitions of each movement can make a huge difference. You’d be surprised how many different exercises you can do in such a short span of time. That’s why many Pilates instructors offer 10-minute classes. Of course, a longer workout of 20 or more minutes is beneficial as well, but with Pilates, it only takes a few repeated movements to start feeling your muscles getting a workout.
2) LOW IMPACT – When we think of traditional exercise, high intensity activities like aerobics or jogging come to mind. Fortunately, Pilates offers an intense muscular workout with virtually no jumping up and down or running. This may explain why Pilates is so appealing for pregnant women and new mothers. Actress Kristen Bell explains that Pilates is “all about core strength, I can do it at home and it doesn’t require much sweating. (Sweating means showering, which is not at the top of the New Mom Priority List.)” The fluidity of motion and precision of exercises that Pilates requires translates into a gentle low-impact workout which you can do sitting or lying down.
3) MINDFUL – Creator of the Pilates method, Joseph Pilates, believed that utilizing mental concentration during your workout was essential. By paying full attention to your movements, you can maximize the results of each exercise. Pilates stressed the balance of body and mind – “the conscious control of all muscular movements of the body.” Not only can concentration during exercise relax you, but it can also provide medical benefits for the brain.
4) CONVENIENT – Pilates is so convenient because you can do it from the comfort of your own home – no gym required. Performed on a mat or with equipment, Pilates is virtually self-contained because it focuses on controlled muscle movements which don’t involve jumping or running around. Even with equipment like the Pilates Power Gym mini-reformer, you don’t need a lot of floor space and the quiet back and forth motions won’t disturb your neighbors.
5) EFFECTIVE – Probably the most important reason to do Pilates is because it works! Pilates is so popular because it brings great results. “The beautiful thing about Pilates is it gives you that long, lean muscle tone because you’re working with that nice fluid movement and control,” says Pilates and Yoga instructor, Kristin McGee. With repeated practice of Pilates, your muscles will become toned and sculpted. “Muscles you don’t even realize you have you can work with Pilates because you can target and tone specific little muscle groups,” McGee continues. “Pilates is like an inner girdle. It just scoops everything in.” – T.Y.
Sign up for the Pilates Power Gym newsletter and receive instant access to our FREE online Pilates class